Skip to content
Curtin University
Centre For Aboriginal Studies

ABSTUDY and fees

ABSTUDY allowances

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students receive some funding from the Department of Human Services to attend classes at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies.

If you are studying at a secondary school or college, TAFE (a technical and further education college), university or other approved tertiary institution, or in a full-time Australian Apprenticeship, you may qualify for ABSTUDY.

ABSTUDY can help with your costs for:

  • education
  • accommodation
  • living
  • fares to travel to your place of study each term or semester if you need to study away from home
  • prescription medicine

If you qualify for ABSTUDY, you may be entitled to other payments and benefits too.

For more information, go to the ABSTUDY website or call them on 1800 132 317 or visit one of the Centrelink Service Centres. If you need to speak to them in languages other than English, call 131 202. If you have hearing or speech difficulties then TTY service Freecall™ 1800 810 586. A TTY phone is required to use this service.

Note: Call charges apply – calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.

Please note, the Centre for Aboriginal Studies doesn't keep any Centrelink forms on hand for students.


All Australian and New Zealander students enrolled at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies pay their fees through the HECS-HELP scheme.

This means you can choose to pay your fees upfront or pay nothing until you are earning above a designated threshold in a financial year. The Australian Tax Office will automatically deduct your HECS/HELP repayments once you are earning above the threshold.

You can see an estimate of how much your fees will be by using Curtin's Fee Calculator.

When you enrol at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies, you will fill out an e-CAF form which lets the Australian Tax Office know that you're studying.

Please ensure you bring your Tax File Number with you to ensure you application is complete. Failure to notify the University of your Tax File Number can result in course withdrawal.