Skip to content
Curtin University
Centre For Aboriginal Studies


Joyleen Koolmatrie, our Aboriginal counsellor and psychologist at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies (CAS), offers a safe, friendly, professional environment to deal with any issues affecting your life, work or study. Consultations are free and completely confidential.

Why might I want to see a counsellor?

Sometimes there are difficulties that are hard to discuss with family, friends or work colleagues, and you may need an independent party to confide in. A professional counsellor/psychologist would be one such person, who may help you resolve problems and prevent future ones from developing.

What issues do people raise with counsellors?

Frequently raised issues include:

  • Family issues
  • Feelings of academic inadequacy
  • Relationships with others
  • Social anxieties
  • Cultural concerns
  • Depression
  • Balancing the demands of family and study
  • Sexuality
  • Traumatic events (recent or older)
  • Anxiety
  • Stress
  • Loss of a loved one
  • Witnessed or heard any form of trauma
  • Student issues.

To make an appointment:

Joyleen is available at CAS on Tuesdays, Wednesdays (half day) and Fridays, and at Counselling and Disability Services on Mondays and Thursdays. 

To make an appointment please phone Counselling and Disability Services on 9266 7850. Or if you are seeking help on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday you can also present at Joyleen's office at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies during working hours.

Counselling and Disability Services
Building 109, Level 2
Mondays and Thursdays
Ph: 9266 7850

Centre for Aboriginal Studies
Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays (half day) and Fridays
Building 211, room 228

For more information about counselling services, FAQ's, programs and more at Curtin please visit the Counselling Services website.