Skip to content
Curtin University
Centre For Aboriginal Studies

Travelling students

Your travel and accommodation is arranged by the Travel Facilitator at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies.

If you are attending block release programs at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies – Perth, you will be required to fill out the appropriate forms to confirm your travel and accommodation. You can find these forms by clicking the "Forms" tab to the left.

In order for CAS to receive funding from DIISRTE to cover your travel and accommodation costs, you must be in receipt of a form of Abstudy payment.

CAS is only allowed to authorise travel to and from your home base. Any variations to this must be paid for by yourself.

There is an opportunity to choose your preferred time to travel to and from Perth. Every effort will be made for you to travel on the requested flight, times and dates. If you don’t let us know your preferred travel, we will choose for you.

Any changes to flights after the booking has been made will incur a $88 fee plus any cost differences incurred. If flight/transport are missed without prior notification you will be required to rebook your travel at your own cost.

If you have a medical condition such as heart disease or deep vein thrombosis (DVT) you must contact your doctor to get a clearance to travel by plane. Our insurance doesn’t cover students with pre-existent conditions. Contact the Centre for Aboriginal Studies on (08) 9266 7091 to discuss your needs.


Approved travelling students will be staying in shared, self-catering accommodation in the Perth CBD. Please note that you will be sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other students. You will be close to restaurants, clubs, tourist attractions, medical services and public transport.

Upon check-in to the hotel you will be required to pay a $50 deposit, so please keep this in mind and ensure you have enough money on hand.

A Transperth bus service is available to take you to and from Curtin University each day. Use the Transperth's journey planner below to plan your route.

Getting around Perth

If you wish to visit places during your time in Perth, there are reliable bus, train and ferry services available through Transperth. You can plan your trip using Transperth’s Journey Planner. As a full time university student, you are eligible for a student SmartRider card that will allow you to get around Perth on discount fares. You can purchase your Smartrider card from the Curtin University bookshop while on block.

Meal Allowances

Meal allowances will also be provided for the days you spend in Perth. Please note your allowance does not cover the days you spend travelling to and from Perth. You should make sure you have enough money with you in case anything happens while you’re getting to and from Perth. Please note all payments will be made electronically direct to your account.

For your convenience there is a student common room with a fridge at CAS if you want to prepare your lunch and bring it with you.

Please note: Attendance at all classes is compulsory. Non-attendance to class without a medical certificate, will incur a meal allowance deduction for that day.

Charges not covered by CAS

While you are in Perth you are representing the Centre for Aboriginal Studies. It is expected that you will treat people and property with respect while you travel to and from Perth as well as when you stay in the self-catering accommodation.

Please note, the following expenses will not be covered by the Centre for Aboriginal Studies:

  • Transport to and from the airport and accommodation
  • Telephone calls made at the accommodation
  • Mini bar purchases.
  • Any additional cleaning or damages charges from your stay at the accommodation.