Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS)
ITAS was established in 1990 as part of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Policy and is funded through the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research & Tertiary Education. The scheme allows all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to receive private tutorial assistance.
Who can get ITAS?
There are two criteria a student must meet to be eligible for ITAS Tuition:
- The student must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent,
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate award level course (e.g. Bachelor or Associate) offered at Curtin University.
Applying for ITAS
If you meet the eligibility criteria and wish to apply for tuition, please download and complete the ‘Student Application for Tuition’ form by clicking on one of the links below. Alternatively you can collect a form from the ITAS Officer who is located in the Student Services area in the Centre for Aboriginal Studies library (Building 211), or via phone on (08) 9266 2893 or (08) 9266 7091, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: a new form needs to be completed at the start of each semester.
There is a database of qualified tutors available; however, students do have the option to nominate their own tutor(s) on the Student Application for Tuition form, (he/she must register as a tutor under the ITAS program. The registration process requires the individual to complete a ‘Prospective Tutor Package’).
Please note: There is a process involved with lodging your tutor application and will take approximately 3 weeks to get you on the system, therefore it is vital that applicants lodge their expression of interest as soon as possible.
Prospective ITAS tutors must:
- Be qualified through formal education or relevant experience;
- NOT be a close relative of the student. The term “family” can be identified as follows:
- A relative by blood or marriage or;
- Has strong affinity with the individual and family;
- Stands in a bona fide domestic or household relationship with the individual;
- Is a child or adopted child of the individual;
- Is a child or adopted child of the person standing in a bona fide domestic or household relationship with the individual.
- NOT be directly involved in the assessment of the course in which the student is enrolled.
Tertiary students as tutors must:
- Be at least two academic years ahead of the student (i.e. 1st or 2nd year students cannot be approved as ITAS tutors for university students);
- Be able to show evidence of sound academic progress;
- Not themselves be receiving ITAS tuition or have received ITAS tuition in the subject area.
Prior to any tutoring a Tutor must have a Sessional Contract and a current Student/ Tutor Agreement with Curtin University and the Centre for Aboriginal Studies.
Hours of Tuition
The ITAS Officer will determine your eligible hour’s based on your education assessment. Students can be approved for a maximum of up to 2 hours tuition per unit per week, with no more than 8 hours per week.
Types of Tuition
Block tuition – tutors will come to your hotel room in the evenings to provide tutoring. When you are on Block you must book a time slot with the ITAS Officer. Arrangements are not to be made directly with a tutor. Tutors are provided with a specific block contract which they need to adhere to.
Individual tuition – face to face contact with your tutor, this contract operates within the semester period only.
Who to contact
At the Centre for Aboriginal Studies there is a full time ITAS Officer who deals specifically with the Student Applications, Contracts and Tutor enquiries and can be contacted on (08) 9266 2893 or (08) 9266 7091. Alternatively you can contact the ITAS Officer by emailing email@example.com.